Reliably monitor and optimize refinery processes
As diverse as different continents and countries are, equally diverse are the existing and preferred types of crude oil. Different compositions, properties and applications make up the diversity and variance of the crude oil types. However, the several thousand different crude oil types basically always consist of the same mixture of hydrocarbons, small amounts of sulphur and traces of oxygen, nitrogen and metals. In order to produce high-quality and usable mineral oils, such as heating oil, petrol or gas, from crude oil, a number of chemical and physical processes must be carried out within the refinery.
The need for reliable monitoring and control of all these processes is beyond question. In addition, to maximizing margins, a refinery must be able to produce more with the existing equipment. One way to manage this increase in production is to improve the quality and reliability of plant measurements, so that processes can operate at maximum throughput. Due to extreme process conditions, such as high temperatures, high pressures or other harsh conditions, the measuring instruments used for this purpose must be extremely robust and resistant, and yet accurate. Such measuring conditions favor the use of radiometric measuring systems, which are characterized by the following features:
· Non-contacting: outside mounting of components
· Reliable under extreme conditions
· Wear and maintenance-free
· Easy installation even on existing vessels or pipes
· Smooth handling and operation
· No re-calibration required
These advantages are used to make critical applications more reliable. The processes in which Berthold instruments are used include:
· Desalters – oil/emulsions/water interfaces
· Distillation columns – level of residual bottoms
· Continuous catalytic reforming (CCR) – level of catalyst in regenerator, also in combination with level switch
· Fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) – level in cyclone separators, regenerator, hoppers, or regenerated standpipe
· Resid hydrocracking – multiphase level and density
· Alkylation – hydrocarbon/acid interfaces in acid settler, level in storage drums
· Delayed coking – level of coke, also in combination with high level alarm
· Solvent deaspalting (SDA) – level of interface between solvent and extracted asphaltenes
Completed with unique features, such as XIP or RID, which allow measurement even in the presence of external radiation, or the patented temperature and aging compensation, Berthold offers perfect measurement solutions for your refinery process. With more than 70 years of experience in the field of process measurement technology we are the right partner for you!
As diverse as different continents and countries are, equally diverse are the existing and preferred types of crude oil. Different compositions, properties and applications ...
The latest development in the safe and reliable operation of delayed cokers includes the use of of continuous nuclear level measurement on the drums. Continuous level ...
The effects of interference radiation on radiometric measurements can be considerable and must therefore be controlled. As it is neither predictable when interference ...
Does your nuclear density meter come with an 18-month warranty? Berthold’s robust and retrofittable LB 6770 detector is designed specifically to withstand the intense ...
Interface measurements in desalters are often regarded as not being very critical, even though every drop of oil, to be refined, passes through the desalter. As refineries ...
DuoSeries LB 470 is the radiometric level measurement from Berthold in true 2-wire technology, which is now also available with radiation interference detection (RID). ...
Is your refinery operating at max capacity? For safe and efficient control of your refining process, you need to be able to reliably measure various parameters throughout ...
The detection of Strontium-90 is difficult since the decay chain of Sr-90 and the daughter nucleus Y-90, emit only beta particles and no gamma rays. Furthermore, Strontium ...