Chevron announces agreement to acquire Anadarko
Chevron Corporation announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement with Anadarko Petroleum Corporation to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Anadarko in a stock and cash transaction valued at $33 billion, or $65 per share. Based on Chevron’s closing price on April 11, 2019 and under the terms of the agreement, Anadarko shareholders will receive 0.3869 shares of Chevron and $16.25 in cash for each Anadarko share. The total enterprise value of the transaction is $50 billion.
The acquisition of Anadarko will significantly enhance Chevron’s already advantaged Upstream portfolio and further strengthen its leading positions in large, attractive shale, deepwater and natural gas resource basins. Furthermore, Western Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE: WES) is a successful midstream company whose assets are well aligned with the combined companies’ upstream positions, which should further enhance their economics and execution capabilities.
“This transaction builds strength on strength for Chevron,” said Chevron’s Chairman and CEO Michael Wirth. “The combination of Anadarko’s premier, high-quality assets with our advantaged portfolio strengthens our leading position in the Permian, builds on our deepwater Gulf of Mexico capabilities and will grow our LNG business. It creates attractive growth opportunities in areas that play to Chevron’s operational strengths and underscores our commitment to short-cycle, higher-return investments.”
“This transaction will unlock significant value for shareholders, generating anticipated annual run-rate synergies of approximately $2 billion, and will be accretive to free cash flow and earnings one year after close,” Wirth concluded.
“The strategic combination of Chevron and Anadarko will form a stronger and better company with world-class assets, people and opportunities,” said Anadarko Chairman and CEO Al Walker. “I have tremendous respect for Mike and his leadership team and believe Chevron’s strategy, scale and operational capabilities will further accelerate the value of Anadarko’s assets.”
* Strong Strategic Fit: Anadarko’s assets will enhance Chevron’s portfolio across a diverse set of asset classes, including:
* Shale & Tight – The combination of the two companies will create a 75-mile-wide corridor across the most attractive acreage in the Delaware basin, extending Chevron’s leading position as a producer in the Permian.
* Deepwater – The combination will enhance Chevron's existing high-margin position in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico (GOM), where it is already a leading producer, and extend its deepwater infrastructure network.
* LNG –Chevron will gain another world-class resource base in Mozambique to support growing LNG demand. Area 1 is a very cost-competitive and well-prepared greenfield project close to major markets.
* Significant Operating and Capital Synergies: The transaction is expected to achieve run-rate cost synergies of $1 billion before tax and capital spending reductions of $1 billion within a year of closing.
* Accretive to Free Cash Flow and EPS: Chevron expects the transaction to be accretive to free cash flow and earnings per share one year after closing, at $60 Brent.
* Opportunity to High-Grade Portfolio: Chevron plans to divest $15 to $20 billion of assets between 2020 and 2022. The proceeds will be used to further reduce debt and return additional cash to shareholders.
* Increased Shareholder Returns: As a result of higher expected free cash flow, Chevron plans to increase its share repurchase rate from $4 billion to $5 billion per year upon closing the transaction.
Senex Energy Ltd today announced a domestic gas sales agreement (GSA) for up to 2.5 petajoules (PJ) of natural gas with Southern Oil Refining’s Northern Oil Refinery ...
Clariant, a focused, sustainable and innovative specialty chemical company, today announced the construction of a new state-of-the-art catalyst production site in China. ...
Covid-19 and the recent soft crude oil price prompted a slowdown in some markets for ABB Measurement & Analytics. Division President, Sabine Busse and her team listened ...
Fluor Corporation announced today that its joint venture with Daewoo Engineering & Construction and Hyundai Heavy Industries, FDH JV, has successfully started up ...
Clariant Catalysts and Tianjin University (TJU) put the spotlight on the future development and commercialization of new catalytic solutions to better serve the needs ...
MAN Energy Solutions and Wasco have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to promote and commercialize Power-to-X (PtX) projects in South-East Asia. The technology ...
ADNOC Onshore, a subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), announced today, the award of two Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contracts ...
Aspen Technology, Inc. and Wood today announced a new partnership that will offer Wood’s clients Aspen Mtell® asset performance management (APM) technology ...
Emerson today introduced the Rosemount™ 700XA gas chromatograph (GC), the industry’s first single-analyzer solution to provide measurement of sulfur compounds as ...
The IndianOil board has cleared the Stage-1 approval to install a Grassroot Needle Coker Unit at Paradip Refinery using IndianOil R&D's in-house technology. The proposed ...