What are some of the most effective compressor performance strategies for improving the mean time between failure (MTBF)?Jun-2023
Bishwanath Mondal, Dorf Ketal Chemicals, firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes in feedstock quality, the introduction of side streams, and increases in compressor temperature and residence time are usual factors that can affect compressor performance by increasing the fouling tendency. Some strategies that can be adopted to reduce the impact on compressor performance and run length are listed as follows:
• Maintain discharge temperature towards the lower side (<90°C for CGC) and injection of wash water (BFW) as required
• Use a good-quality wash oil (>85% or >90% of aromatic content)
• Ensure there is no corrosion and free form of iron, as it acts as catalyst to promote free-radical polymerisation
• Use efficient antifoulant to reduce free-radical polymer formation and polymer deposition. Dorf Ketal offers different chemical strategies depending on the compressor characteristics and plant conditions
• During periods of low feed flow rate, improve wash oil and antifoulant strategies to minimise the impact of increased residence time
• An effective and real-time monitoring tool can help detect early signs of problems while taking a proactive approach. The following advanced monitoring systems are currently used by Dorf Ketal:
υ Real-time modelling of CGC (by COMPASS) that simulate the machine’s actual performance digitally compared to ideal conditions. Eliminate all chances of error by considering injection of wash water and other parameters of feed gas composition. COMPASS can detect early signs of fouling and suggest corrective action, which can also help in optimising wash oil and chemical consumption
ϖ Fouling Assessment Tool (FAT) is another real-time online monitoring tool that can measure the quantity of foulant and help in collecting a foulant sample online for lab studies and evaluations.
Besides traditional monitoring of compressors, the above strategies, along with an efficient antifoulant treatment, have successfully enhanced machine run length in many cases.